When is a pain in the neck more than just a pain in the neck? When is it the sign that something more serious may be involved?
Typically, neck pain is caused by a muscle strain, and one side of the neck may experience more pain more than the other. But when neck pain is accompanied by other symptoms , it may be cause for concern.
For example, neck pain with vomiting and a stiff neck may indicate meningitis. If you cannot touch your chin to your chest and experience drowsiness, confusion and/or sensitivity to bright lights – call a medical doctor right away.
Neck pain with weakness in the arms and tingling in the fingers may indicate a herniated disc, which is pressure on a nerve root due to a narrowing of the spinal cord canal. Call my office immediately.
Neck pain and trouble moving your head without pain? This could signal fibromyalgia, a condition that causes pain in your muscles, joints, ligaments and tendons. It could also be a symptom of rheumatoid arthritis , an autoimmune disorder that affects your joints, particularly those in your feet, knees and hands.
Neck pain after a traffic accident is usually referred to as “whiplash,” because the neck, when you are in a car that is hit, tends to snap suddenly forward and then backward, causing what is known as cervical acceleration/deceleration (CAD) trauma or syndrome. Again call me immediately following an accident, no matter how minor.
Most people experience neck pain at some time in their lives. I’ve received training that helps me to locate the causes of your neck pain, restoring normal mobility in your neck and other affected body parts.
In addition, I’ll determine whether you have a relatively minor issue, or whether you require a more intense treatment plan. Please advise us regarding any neck pain you are experiencing, whether or not the pain is severe. Your pain may start out SMALL, but it can get really bad, and this usually happens late at night or on the weekends, so CALL ME NOW if you have pain or some of the symptoms I mentioned.
After you call, I’ll examine you thoroughly. I try to restore normal feeling and function in your neck and other affected body parts as quickly as possible. Continued care will help ensure that the muscles and joints in your neck and back remain in optimal working condition to keep you living life to your fullest potential, without restriction. Pain is something that you never want to cover up before you find out what’s causing it.
Disc lesions are serious. If you have neck pain or any other types of pain, call my office now. Chiropractors are experts at being able to distinguish different types of neck problems, so make that call or give this to a friend that needs assistance. We are here for one thing, to help you!
Candida overgrowth can be a significant barrier to you losing weight, and any weight loss for that matter. You may not know this but Candida is a naturally occurring yeast in the intestinal tract, and is vital for healthy digestion.
However, when Candida overgrowth occurs, (and 80% of Americans have this problem) it can create problems, both with digestive function (gas, bloating etc) and more systemically with fatigue, headaches, brain fog and so on.
In looking at the association between Candida and weight gain, the first thing you as a consumer need to examine is the fuel source for yeast (and subsequently Candida). Yeast feeds off of good old sugar – that is its preferred fuel source. Subsequently an individual with a “hefty” yeast overgrowth is going to crave sugars and carbs, as that is what the yeast is craving.
Part of the dilemma is that the sugar/carb phenomenon is a catch-22. Here’s what I mean by that. Yeast feeds off of the sugar you eat, so a diet high in sugars and carbs will perpetuate Candida overgrowth; and yet Candida overgrowth will set you up for more cravings for more sugars and carbs. This is one reason you might have a hard time breaking this cycle.
Furthermore, yeast will crave not only sugar, but more yeast . What is alcohol? Sugar and yeast. What is wine? Same thing. Plus a bunch of “empty” calories. I know many individuals who crave wine or beer – not because they have a drinking problem – but because they have a yeast overgrowth and they’re predisposed to that because of Candida. High yeast foods can be a trigger also – things like vinegars, mushrooms, and breads to name a few.
Anti-fungal treatment can often help curb cravings for sugars, carbs and alcohol, and these are three things that will be very helpful in maintaining a healthy weight.
Also, treating yeast overgrowth with something called Ultra Cleanse can help reduce intestinal bloating – which makes one more feel more rotund, even if it’s NOT true body fat. Addressing yeast overgrowth will also boost your energy levels which in turn makes exercise a more viable and appealing proposition.
Candida overgrowth also compromises proper absorption of nutrients. It is associated with “leaky gut”, which means the gap between the intestinal cells widens . This then leads to nutrients not being well absorbed, as well as larger-than-normal food molecules escaping into the blood stream triggering immune reactions and inflammation. You may be taking vitamins and minerals, but if you have Candida, they aren’t being absorbed properly.
Addressing Candida overgrowth can be done through your diet, although even the most rigid anti-Candida diets are rarely enough to eradicate the problem. That’s why seven or more rounds of Ultra Cleanse can help you eliminate this overgrowth of Candida from your system.
The balanced option is dietary modifications, coupled with Ultra Cleanse. Many people find that once yeast overgrowth is addressed, their cravings for sugars and carbs are reduced and then they find out that their weight loss is much easier. You can get your supply at this office today. It’s not found on Amazon, or any place on the internet. Get it here today.
Hey I’m going to tell you something today that you might not know. No doctor knows everything. And that goes for me as well. I love to learn, and I attend a lot of conferences all over the U.S. to try and stay up with technology, but I don’t know everything. But you’ll like what I’m going to share with you if you have fibromyalgia.
Medical science is yet to discover the cause for this condition. I think I know, but that’s another story, for another handout.
Because there are so many different symptoms associated with fibromyalgia, there are just as many theories for what causes it.
Since those with (FM) fibromyalgia often experience an altered mood – such as depression – many experts focus on the psychological aspect of the disease. Others feel that FM is more a physiological entity, and has its origins in physical trauma or chronic postural alterations.
Some suggest that FM is a central nervous system disorder, with imbalances in neurochemicals – since those with FM are hypersensitive to even the slightest stimuli.
They often have a pain response to normally non-painful pressure or activity. It’s not even out of the question that a combination of psychological and physical triggers can result in the onset of many of FM symptoms.
I offer my skills to FM patients , hoping to relieve some of their symptoms. In fact, evidence suggests that those with FM consult with chiropractors like me quite regularly. According to a study conducted at a tertiary Mayo Clinic , 37% of the 300+ FM patients surveyed had visited a chiropractor in the previous 6 months.
But does chiropractic work for them ? Great question.
Some recent studies indicate it does and I feel it does. In ONE example, chiropractors surveyed FM patients before, during and after a series of treatments to see if they responded favorably to chiropractic adjustments combined with a specific soft tissue technique known as ischemic compression.
In this preliminary study , 60% of the subjects who were treated with this protocol experienced a significant improvement – with respect to pain reduction, improved sleep and decreased fatigue. If you had one of those symptoms, wouldn’t you want to get rid of them? Sure you would.
Although pure scientific research on the chiropractic treatment of fibromyalgia is lacking, some early studies are showing that chiropractic could help improve FM patients’ quality of life.
As a doctor of chiropractic I am trained as a neuromusculoskeletal specialist, and one of the main focuses of chiropractic care over the long haul is the positive effects it can have on a person’s nervous system.
Since all information from the outside world is collected and analyzed by the nervous system, it’s logical to assume that if a person with FM is sensitive to a stimulus that others are not, there may be something wrong with this system. Their nervous system, and the only thing that will help with that is specific chiropractic adjustments to the right area, at the prescribed times, on an ongoing schedule.
ou’re going to like this secret. It’s water. Yup. Drinking water before each meal has been shown to help promote weight loss , according to a new study. Drinking just two 8-ounce glasses of water before meals helps people melt pounds away. The study is being presented at the National Meeting of the American Chemical Society .
Here’s what they said. Increased water consumption is an effective weight loss strategy
“We found in earlier studies that middle aged and older people who drank two cups of water right before eating a meal ate between 75 and 90 fewer calories during the meal.”
Many people substitute sweet-tasting calorie-containing beverages for water.
If you look at research on beverage consumption trends, our average intake as normal human beings of sugar-sweetened beverages has increased dramatically in the past three or four decades, so likely we are drinking other beverages in place of water.”
Drinking Water and Weight Loss
There was a study done and it included 48 adults between age 55 and 75 who were divided into two groups.
One group drank two cups of water before meals and the other didn’t. All participants ate a low-calorie diet throughout the study.
After 12 weeks, water drinkers lost about 15.5 pounds, compared to non-water-drinking dieters, who lost only 11 pounds.
These study participants drank about 1.5 cups of water per day prior to joining in the study. Not only were those who drank water before meals more successful after 12 weeks, but they also kept “the weight off for a full year after the weight loss study.
Even better, most water drinkers, followed for an additional 12 months, not only kept weight off but “even lost another 1 to 2 pounds.”
The message is clear: “People should drink more pH water and less sugary, high-calorie drinks if they want to drop weight and KEEP it OFF.”
I got up this morning and I thought I’d do a little research on weight loss surgery and make a post for you to answer that question.
I’m going to address weight loss surgery today in this short post. This is a question that I get asked all the time. “Is Surgery A Safe Way To Lose Weight?”
What do you think the correct answer is?
According to the Centers for Disease Control, the obesity rate in America is somewhere between 26-32%, almost 1 in 3 Americans.
Since 1988, the average American male has gained over 17 pounds while the average female has gained about 15 ½, Spotlight on Obesity reports.
If these trends continue, and there is no research that says it won’t, we could end up with nearly 43% of all Americans being obese by 2018.
The CDC also reports that the annual medical cost of obesity in America is $147 billion (which is a lot of money) and the annual medical cost for obese persons versus average weight individuals is $1,429 more.
Complications : bleeding occurs in about 4% of patients, Tachycardia 4.4%, wound infections in about 5% of all cases, deep vein thrombosis up to 1.3% and the rate of pulmonary embolism ranged up to 1.1%. Not great numbers.
If you’re tired of that extra baggage you’re carrying around, don’t want to risk death or infection from surgery, plus you’d like to get healthier, feel better, and look younger, talk to me about our weight loss program.
13. At lunch, pick a pita Use one mini whole-wheat pita instead of the usual two slices of white or refined wheat bread for your sandwich . What you really want to do is cut out all flour. I love bread myself, but if you really want to see changes, cut out the flour. It’s bad and it helps keep the weight ON.
14. Get face time We use e-mail so much we’ve forgotten what our co-workers look like. Pick a colleague or two who sits farthest from you and deliver 10 of those daily messages in person. And go out of your way: Hit a bathroom or a copier on another floor — and take the stairs, of course. When you take the extra steps you’re burning more calories, and that’s what it’s all about. Walk more, do more, and gain less. Don’t make it hard, and again, drink lots of pH water.
15. Firm as you file Pause from your papers with a few wall push-ups. This is really easy to do and you’ll find out it does work your muscles. Place your hands wide at shoulder height against the wall. Any wall. Take a couple of steps back so your body is at a slight angle and your weight is on your toes, and do three sets of 10 push-ups. When you do this it will strengthens your chest and triceps mucsles. It’s going to make you feel stronger, have more energy and help build a few muscles, which means you’re going to lose weight.
16. An apple (or more) a day They’re packed with fiber and water, so your stomach will want less. Plus, studies out of Washington State and Brazil have shown that people who eat at least three apples or pears a day— lose weight. Try two small apples or some pears. When you eat fiber you’re not only going to lose weight, you’re going to firm up and be healthier. Doesn’t get any better than that.
9. Casual day payoff You will blast more calories during the day wearing comfy clothes like jeans or khakis, sport shirts and soft-soled shoes than donning constricting suits, skirts and heels. Why? Because you walk more, a study found. Now you just have to convince your boss if you work in that type of setting.
10. You know squat! At your desk chair, or in front of your computer, pretend you’re going to sit but don’t — stop and come back up without using your arms. Always start squats by lowering your hips, not bending knees forward, and keeping your weight on your heels. Repeat the motion throughout the day (even at the potty!) for 15 to 20 total. What this will do is strengthen your quadriceps, which are in your legs. It might seem a little hard at first but hey, it’ll get easier and you’ll find out when you develop more muscle, you’ll feel better and your weight will come off. Try it.
11. Drop the soda Your body doesn’t register calories from liquids the same way it does those from foods, so you won’t get those “stop eating” signals to help you compensate for the overload later on. Change from two glasses of regular soda or fruit juice to pH water. The more cold pH water you drink the more weight you’ll lose. I remember a woman I knew, all she did was change to drinking lots and lots of pH water. She lost 20 pounds in a matter of weeks, so the more pH water you drink, the more you’ll lose. It works.
12. Talk it up Every time you grab the phone, stand up and pace around. Heavy people sit on average two and a half hours MORE per day than thin people, according to the Mayo Clinic. I know that’s hard to believe, but stay active. The less you sit down, the more you’ll keep. The more you walk the more you’ll lose. It’s simple, but again, it works.
Last week I went over the first four ways to help you stay permanently slim. They are earth shaking secrets, but they are secrets that only thin people seem to practice.
Today I’m going to give you a few more. Make sure you share them with your friends so they know these secrets as well. Here’s number 5.
5. Coffee saver Instead of pouring that 1/3 cup of half-and-half (a whopping 105 calories!) into your coffee cup, replace it with the same amount of 2% milk or just drink it black. Doing this will save you some extra calories and some extra fat storage. It’s the little things that count. Saves 60
6. Better your bagel You can walk 10,000 steps to justify your 500-calorie bagel with cream cheese, or try this: low-fat spreadable cheese like Laughing Cow Light on an English muffin. That’s if you have to have a bagel. Stay away from grains if you can. Again, if you’re hungry, really hungry, eat a hard boiled egg and drink lots of pH water. Saves 300 calories
7. Tone in traffic Use the time spent bumper-to-bumper to develop your buns of steel: Squeeze your derrière each time you tap the brake, holding for 10 seconds. Shoot for 10 to 15 squeezes a trip. I know that sounds crazy, but hey, if you want buns of steel, or something close to buns of steel, do it. It’ll make your derriere feel and look better and it’ll burn some fat off that backside. Burns 10 calories
8. Snack smarter Portion out the day’s snacks into pint-size zip bags, or buy single-serving portions. For example, four eat raw broccoli or carrots. When you do this it will satisfy your cravings and take that fat off your backside and hips.
“I don’t know who or what to believe! I heard that fat is bad for me, but then somebody tells me how good flax oil is for you… and yet it’s fat. Then I heard carbohydrates were bad for me and I should eat more protein…like the Atkins diet. And then the Atkins guy dies of a heart attack, and I find out that the high protein diet makes you toxic. One doctor tells you this and another one tells you that. It seems that when it comes to health, nobody can seem to agree.”
And the statistics support this truth. We are rich in “money, stuff, and things”, but we’re very poor in our health. Ouch.
It’s sad but true… it seems people know more about how their cars operate than how their bodies do. And equally as unfortunate is this… we treat our cars better. Would you ever put anything in your car’s gas tank other than gas? Heck no! Then why do so many of us put something other than food in our bodies? And no…Twinkies aren’t food.
This part is for certain… it’s silly to expect different results …positive results and progress where your health is concerned if your approach is the same as it’s been over the last month or year.
Well… that’s really what this journey is all about. DISCOVERING health…not trying to INVENT it. It’s about breaking things down to where they make sense. And I believe if we can break out the truth, bit by bit, we’ll all be empowered to live much healthier and happier lives!
Just the fact that you’re reading this tells me that you desire more for yourself…and that’s great! My promise to you is this…you’ll learn a lot more about your health here in this office – and hopefully enjoy the process – and all it will cost you is a little bit of your time.
Living a vibrant and healthy life is a PROCESS…not an event. You don’t just wake up one day and everything’s great. There’s no magic pill…no Hollywood diet, no amazing miracle. Vibrant Health is a JOURNEY, and not a destination.
And by the way… I’m just a person…like anybody else talking about the subject of health. I happen to have a lot of knowledge on the subject because I’ve tried to dig up truth to apply to MY body and MY life. But there are a TON of great resources out there… and people to lean on.
So, keep learning on your journey, and keep searching for truths that will empower you to succeed in the arena of your health. So…here’s how to take control of your health… get informed, stay informed, and this is the most important thing… apply what you know…even if it’s just a little bit…EVERY Day. Make UNDERTANDING your body a priority, and make healthy and vibrant living a journey.
Our program is not a diet — or a rigorous exercise program. (Nobody can stick to those for long.)
Instead, it’s a simple way to make weight loss a natural part of the life you already live. And guess what? It’s fun!
You just adopt some tricks naturally lean people do. Pick the ones you like, stick with them, and you’ll slim down and tone up — for good! I’ll be doing a number of these in different handouts so make sure you keep them all.
1. Wake-up workout This is a pretty good one. When your eyes open, sit up slowly without using your hands. With legs straight out, lean forward until you feel a gentle stretch in your back and hamstrings. Hold; then, using your abs, lower yourself flat. Rest and repeat two more times. Doing this simple little exercise… strengthens your core. And best of all it… Burns 10 calories
2. Add some protein The more you eat earlier on, the less you eat as the day wears on, research has shown. So after your hard-boiled egg or a part-skim mozzarella cheese stick to keep you feeling full — eat a protein bar, but be choosy about the kind you buy. That way the more protein you eat, the more you stay away from that pre-lunch brownie. When you’re hungry, grab a piece of chicken or a hard boiled egg. I like to make up about four or five hard boiled eggs, then have them in the refrigerator when I get hungry. Oh and make sure you’re drinking plenty of water. Saves 200 (or more)
3. Balance booster While you brush your teeth, alternate standing on one leg as you switch mouth quadrants (every 30 seconds). Balancing on one leg develops your core muscles and may even be good for your brain. Doing this will help you burn more calories. I’ve found out that doing this will help you… Burn 10 more calories
4. Be a ballerina As your coffee drips, stand sideways, put one hand on the counter, and lift the outside leg straight out in front of you, keeping it extended. With upper body straight, hold for a few seconds and move it to the side; hold and extend it behind you. Do five to ten times on each leg. Tones outer thighs, hip flexors and quadriceps. Burns 10 These are just some of the little tips that you can use to stay active, feel better and lose weight. I’ll be giving you more in the next handout.